POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Dust : Re: Dust Server Time
2 Aug 2024 16:24:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dust
From: Zeger Knaepen
Date: 29 Aug 2004 13:14:04
Message: <41320edc@news.povray.org>
"Vladimir" <nomail@nomail> schreef in bericht
news:web.4131e9a1dab9b99e4e987f070@news.povray.org...
> the dust I would be moddelling would be on the upper surfaces of objects -
> airborne dust can be pretty well simulated with media. The one thought I
> had would be this: Is there any way to create a loop that distinguishes
all
> surfaces facing in a single direction or at least partly in a direction ie
> set to pick up y facing surfaces would also pick up the line x*y. Dont
know
> whether that makes sense. It would then add a semi transparent layer on
top
> of the current texture. Im not sure how I would go about writing this or
> even if it is possible in povray.

A few things I noticed while examining dust in my room (don't ask :))

1. (this one is quite logical, and actually more or less what you describe
here) Dust falls down, so parts of your scene that are not accessible from
above (if you know what I mean) will be more or less clean.  This can be
accomplished with the projection pattern in MegaPOV, with a blur to make it
more realistic
2. Dust is more visible from low angles than from high angles, this can be
simulated with the AOI pattern, also in MegaPOV.

I combined both to get this result: http://sad.nostalg1c.org/dusttest.png

cu!
--
ZK AKA Gaeriel